Department of Information Systems was established by restructuring the Business Information Technology (BIT) Unit in 2020 to administrate the Bachelor of Science Honors in Information Systems, Degree Program. In 2015, the Faculty decided to develop its curriculum according to IEEE and ACM guidelines to meet international accreditation. As a result of the above structural changes, the degree program and the BIT Unit have been renamed as BSc Honors in Information Systems and Department of Information Systems respectively. The Department of Information Systems possesses dedicated, experienced, capable staff who are skilful in different disciplines to produce highly capable, technology-enabled Information Technology (IT) graduates to meet the current and future requirements of the IT sector. There is a potential demand from the industry for IT professionals and job opportunities are growing continuously. The Department of Information Systems is ready to support students to acquire the required knowledge, skills, and expertise required for the industry demand. The duration of the current degree program is four years and offers 125 total credits to its’ students.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Information Systems degree is a unique combination of management and information technology (IT). It covers the core subjects of IT, management, accountancy, economics, and other soft and hard skills required for modern managers. Contemporary business enterprises consist of information that is handled using networked computers, the web, and large-scale databases. Creative use of information systems can transform organizations and successful enterprises that require hybrid managers and analysts who can evaluate, use the necessary tools, assess the involved risks, provide key insights and give sound direction for strategic business planning. This degree program is designed to produce high-quality intellectuals with the technical and managerial understanding to develop and manage such information systems.
Degree Programs Offered by the Department
- Bachelor of Science (Business Information Technology) Special Degree (2015 – 2019 Curriculum)
- Bachelor of Science Honors in Information Systems Degree (2020 – 2024 Curriculum)
Core Areas Covered by the Degree Program
- Information Systems
- Computer Programming
- Database Management Systems
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Web Application Development
- Business Management
- Information Systems Security
- Information Systems Audit
Committees and Services of the Department
- Business Information Technology Students’ Association (BITSA) – students’ committee.
- Language Skills Development Committee (LSD).
- Industrial Training and IT-Based Development Cell.
- IT-Based Development Committee.
- New Computer Laboratory Complex Committee.
Other Services offered by the Department
- Hardware Laboratory
- IT Technical support
- Lab facility to the faculty